Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Saving Your Marriage--Where's Your Treasure?

Years ago in a place far away I helped convert a young man.  He and his wife had not been married very long.  They were having problems in their marriage....

So I said to the guy, "Okay, do you want to save your marriage?"

"Absolutely."

"How much?" I asked.

"It's the most important thing in the world to me."

"Then we have a chance," I said.  "Tell me about your life."

"Life is really good.  Business is booming, and I'm moving up the ladder.  I love sports and spend a lot of time playing sports with my friends," he said.

Indeed, he was a superb intercollegiate athlete; he held several records that may still be in the books for all I know. So he liked to play sports with the guys, and the plain fact of the matter is he was pretty invested in all areas of his life--but he was giving very little to his marriage.

So, given my very direct approach to marriage counseling, I said, "Okay, I think I see the problem.  Here's the problem:  Either you're a liar or Jesus is because Jesus says wherever your treasure is--wherever your investment is--that's where your heart is.  So you tell me your heart is in saving your marriage, but all of your treasure's going someplace else."

The challenge was issued and the man had to decide for himself whether he was going to go back and invest in what he said was most important to him....

Jesus says "Where's your investment?  Where's your time?  Where's your money?"



~Randy Harris, Living Jesus p111

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! ~Pastor Tim